Monday 14 April 2008

What we did in first lesson

So the first task we had was to make a representation of ourselves so that Ollie could get to know us and how we worked. And, this ghost dog from the toilet is what I chose to represent myself. Cause, I'm will and i like dogs. and.. the toilet?

There is another scrawling ghosty character but.. I think I get compared to a dog more than anything else. I do float around like a ghost most of the time though so that explains that theme. I think the toilet is just to make the image a bit weirder than it would be otherwise.

We then watched 'in the company of wolves', directed by Neil Jordan who also directed 'Interview with the Vampire.



I could see Ollie's intention for screening this to us as it deals very much with the telling of the Lycanthrope fable in several different ways and as a teaching tool in how to use symbolism in a story but I found it to be a bit dated and.. well.. boring to be honest for my taste. I say dated, because the film showed its age in it's use of special effects which wern't that convincing sometimes and really worked to break the sense of disbelief in parts. I'm thinking of the film's special effects in terms of films that came out at similar times such as 'The Thing' which still has special effects that put the CGI of today's cinema to shame. Also, the acting in numerous sections of 'The company of wolves' was just terrible, making it difficult to maintain interest.

Anyway, onto day 2.

No comments: